Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Korean Fact of the Day: Germs

Koreans were never taught how to "sneeze into the sleeve". Although I used to find it ridiculous back home how washrooms would have signs of how to wash your hands and to avoid germs, I now see how important they are! Apparently it is not common knowledge unless you are told. 
Koreans will sneeze or cough into their hands, in mid air, on EVERYTHING, at you, it is gross. And instead of washing their hands, they continue to do what they were doing. SOMETIMES you may get someone who will at least use a napkin to wipe their target. But usually not. Oh and hand washing after, nuh uh...


Also, Koreans like to share food, including soup. Everyone has their own bowl but spoons and chopsticks make their way into the pot and germs are shared. It seems so different than back home but now, I am so used to it, I don't even think twice about it...my chopsticks are all up in there and I am drinking soup from the pot and simply enjoying my meal. It's funny how we get accustomed to things, huh?







Aren't differences in culture fascinating!? ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment