Thursday, October 7, 2010

Kindergarten!

I am pretty sure I told you all that I was going to pick up extra hours teaching Kindergarten as overtime. Well, yesterday was the first day and it was so much fun! They are super cute and so small!

There are 2 classes and I split the 40 mins between them. There is the Giraffe class (senior kingergarten - 6-7 year olds) and the Deer class (junior kindergarten - 4-5 year olds). I teach Giraffe for 20 mins and Deer for 15 mins. then they get rest time for 5 mins...I thought that was funny, they can't handle more than 15 mins!!

I prepared a song and a game. I found the "I love you" Barney song on Youtube and printed a Blue's Clues "pin the paw on the Blue" for them to do. I hand coloured the picture myself, LOVE MY JOB!



They were very welcoming when I arrived. One little boy kept yelling "my name is Tiger" or so I think I heard, he was adorable!! They all said their names and then I showed them the video. They liked it, I don't think they have ever seen Barney, wouldn't they have all been like "Barney! Barney!" So this is good, I can use him again.

I then taught them the words. I said them and they repeated. Then we watched again and some of them sang along while others were just facinated with the big purple dino. We then sang it again without the video and that was the end of song time.

We then played the Blue's Clues game. I told them that we have hands and feet, and that dogs have paws, by using lots of gestures. I am not sure if they got it, but at least they now know the words hands, feet and paws. I then asked them "where does his paw go?" and picked a volunteer to pin it. They are super smart, each kid that volunteered got it right away. I thought it was best I didn't blindfold the kids, that could definitely go wrong with the language barrier!! So I guess it was easier for them than I anticipated. But they liked it, they all wanted to come up!
They then asked me questions...basically what was my favourite colour, food and curtains? haha

The Deer class was next, and I didn't want to waste time setting up the video so I chose to do good old "head and shoulders". They loved it! After that, the Blue's Clues game, which they was easy even for them, then questions. Their questions were more "do you like..." They asked me if I liked a bunch of foods, and fruits etc... and then they started asking me what certain articles of clothing were in English.

I love the littles ones but the only bummer was that some of the children had pink eye. It was crazy how many of them did, I guess it spreads like wild fire! Also, some of the kids had chicken pox marks and that scared me a bit. Even though I have already had them, isn't it possible to get them again? I just try not to touch the children or my face and hope for the best. All of he kids here sneeze and cough all over the place so I am gonna have to be careful to not get sick, which I rarely do...knock on wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment