Thursday, October 28, 2010

Kangcheon Elementary Festival & Fall Field Day

Over the past few weeks since I have been here, the students have been practicing for the "festival". It's funny because when I ask the kids if they are excited for the festival, they have no idea what I am talking about. I guess they haven't learned that word! They have been working so hard, even classes with me in the afternoons have been cancelled so they can rehearse (free period for me!) . Eun Mee also told me that classes were cancelled Thursday for a "physical activity day". I just figured it would be a day where they play sports and games all day.

Wednesday was the festival and it was my longest day here yet. I had to be in at 9am so I got to sleep in a little since I didn't have morning class. First I had to go over a script with the head teacher (gr. 3) since I was going to be the English MC for the opening and closing ceremonies of both events. It was easy breezy, except for the names of people, those are hard to remember! I then helped Eun Mee wrap presents...I was not sure who for, but it turns out, the parents come and participate in fall field day and they would get to win these prizes. FUN!

Basically there was a lot of standing around and waiting to help out wherever necessary. It was beautiful out (as it has been most days!) so it was nice to walk around and help out. There was an art area, where all the children's art was displayed (and some by the parents too). There was a balloon company setting up decorations in the gym, where the festival was gonna go down. While checking out the gym, I noticed a typo in the huge banner above the stage...Eun Mee tried to fix it with a marker but it still looked pretty bad. I guess it's ok, not many of the parents can speak never mind read English anyway.


student's promise to parents?

children's art!!

flags from around the world...oh and beautiful mountains :)




I am in 2 pics in the 3rd row! ha

candyland

oh hello!



didn't quite understand the exchange rate! ha


For dinner, the parents would be making food for sale in the cafeteria. There was also a mini market where parents sold stuff like fruits/veggies, books, children's clothes and toys. I didn't really understand the money exchange, but they cut up fake American money in denominations of $1, $5, and $10 and it turns out "$1" was actually 10 cents! I didn't know that so I changed $5 dollars over and ended up with $50 "bucks"! At the end of it, I didn't even know what to do with the rest of the money...everything was so cheap! I bought a bag of potatoes and a pear for 80 cents, 3 toys for Eun Mee and the nurse's kids, food for Eun Mee and Mr. Jung and in the end, I just started buying anything I could to get rid of the money ( I am not sure you could change it back and it went to the school anyway).


YUM!

Korean books, 10 cents each!
mini market

the kids bought up all the toys!


The food was delish! They had these beef kebabs of sort, basically a beef steak on a stick...with MUSTARD, oh how I have missed mustard! They have it here, I just don't ever cook anything that would need it! And some other Korean dishes. I bought a bunch of books with my leftover money. I gave one to Eun Mee, one to the nurse and some others that I will give to the kindergarten class and as prizes to students. They were 10 cents each! But all in Korean so I have no use for them.

I kept seeing kids with ice cream and cotton candy and it turns out, there was a carnival cart that showed up at the main gate of the school with balloons and treats, but I never got a chance to get anything from it...mmm I want cotton candy! Smart guy!!

It was now time for the big show...it started at 7pm and ended around 9pm. I did my little English part but then there were no seats so I stood the entire time, bummer! But it was ok, the kids were so good, I was entertained! I am obsessed with the kindergarten and preschool kids, they are ADORABLE!! Especially this one little boy, Tiger (not real name but when I first taught them, he said that was his name!). He is absolutely adorable and I want him!! haha He is the cutest thing ever and he is so small and full of energy! LOVE him... and the nurse's daughter, also adorable...I hope they get married one day! ha


The Queen (no pun intended!) - Snow White

my lil friend Tiger at rehearsal

Grade 1

parent papparazzi

grade 3

grade 3

grade 5 playing the dan-so (Korean recorder)

special education students

After the show I was BEAT! I was supposed to stay until 10pm but the nurse said to just go home. I gladly did so but when I got home I felt bad so I went back! I helped for like 10 mins and then ducked out of there...I was exhausted!

The next morning I had to be at school at the same time. I got there and it started around 10am. I was told by Eun Mee to dress nice so I dressed up both days. I was wondering why I had to dress up on a track and field day but I did anyway. It was super foggy and cold that morning so I was freezing! And everyone was in track pants and sweaters, I sure did look outta place. I eventually went home and changed, thank goodness, cause I ended up participating in some of the games. It turned out to be a beautiful day, probably about 25 degrees and sunny!! The student's parents came and participated as well and the carnival cart was back and so were some other people selling toys. The day was run by a company and there was an MC and staff members who helped out with each game. It was a lot of fun and lots of laughs. Of course the kindergarten and preschool events were my favourite! At one point the kids were supposed to have their parents join a game and Tiger couldn't find his family...he looked like a lost puppy so I went to be his partner but then the kindergarten teacher had another student who couldn't find her parents so she paired me with her.Turns out his parents were there (and that he has parents so I can't adopt him! haha) they were so cute with him...Parents in Korea are so cute with their kids!! They love them so much it's great :)


Nanta team - Korean drums

haha these streamers scared the shit outta me!

LOVE this kids hairdo in the navy! CUTE!

kindergarten ready to run! And a sideview of the great hair!

on your mark...

Tiger!! Isn't he the cutest!?

Tiger with his mom!! ...and the minister who keeps trying 
to get me to go to church

A traditional Korean marching band showed up!

Lunch was absolutely fantastic that day. The families brought lunches and had picnics with their kids but some of the parents cooked and served it in the cafeteria. We had a full out Korean meal with all the little side dishes and duck and the spiciest (but yummy) soup I have ever had in my life. It was so good...I wish lunches at school were that good everyday. At both lunch that day and dinner the night before I was offered booze but I said no thanks, I was working and I don't want to look bad. It is different if we are at a school dinner but not during work.

It was the white team vs. the blue team and the white team won! They were awarded a flag and we did the closing ceremonies. I guess the head teacher just wanted to get it over with because she didn't even ask me to come say the English part. All in all it was a great 2 days, but now I am so tired and cannot wait to go to bed tonight...another Friday where I will probably be sleeping by 9pm and I am totally fine with that!

Talk soon lovelies,

No comments:

Post a Comment