Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Exploring Yeoju

This past weekend I decided that I was going to stay in Friday night and then wake up early and go explore Yeoju. I made plans with my fellow Canadian friend Natasha and it was all set...
But upon my arrival home after work, I realized that my internet no longer worked! DEVASTATING! What the hell was I supposed to do in a small farm town with no internet!? I took a deep breath then remembered that most of the teachers were working this Saturday so I would just call Mr. Jung and ask him to get me some internet. I figured that the time left on the previous teacher's internet probably expired (but now that I think of it, she never lived in that house!! Wow, Mr. Jung must think I am an absolute lunatic! I need to go clear that up after this!).
So I decided to just make dinner and watch Glee. I bought it for the flight but haven't watched much of it. Dinner and musical television, yes please! I ended up falling asleep at 9:30pm. I must have been exhausted.

I woke up bright and early, 7:30am to be exact and read for a bit. I am reading a book that I borrowed from Brock and Brittany about the San Pedro prison in Bolivia called Marching Powder  It is really messed up but so interesting. The jail is crazy - you have to buy your cell and there are restaurants and businesses etc... in the jail, and even a cat addicted to crack...check it out! As I was reading, the school started to play the morning music, which is usually the Korean children singing but this day, it was the wedding march! haha so crazy. After reading for a bit I put in my earplugs and went back to bed...LAZY, I know!

I re-woke up at 9am and worked out for the first time since June...Let's just say that Sunday was a very painful day! I have a Jillian Michael's DVD, one for "front" and one for "back"...I did the front one and then some yoga. I then got ready, had breakfast and called Mr. J to help me with my internet so I wouldn't go insane. He said to leave my keys with him and then he would leave them with the night duty man at the school, and I could pick them up from him when I returned. I then proceeded to the bus stop and as I was walking there, I saw it coming down the road so I had to run for it! Thank goodness I made it, even though I almost died running (I repeat, first workout since JUNE!).

I got to Yeoju and met Natasha and we went to an area called "Walking Street". It is called this by foreigners, not Koreans. It is basically a street with no road and there are shops on either side. No road, however, that does not stop scooters and motorcycles..they zip by and almost kill people...Korean drivers do not care, and us pedestrians have no right-of-way AT ALL. Cars will NOT stop for you! We went into a few cute shops then met Darshan, a friend from South Africa. We went for gelato and it was Darshan's first time!



The also have a market every 5 days in the middle area

Apparently the lights are pretty at night

We then met up with Moe (a fellow Canadian) and Mark (American) to go for lunch. We went to an Italian restaurant and had pasta and pizza. Mmm, pasta was great since I was used to eating spicy Korean food. I had the spaghetti with bacon and tomato in a "rozen" sauce...I think they meant rosé! I also happened to run into 2 of my students, who I didn't realize were brother and sister. They were there with their family for lunch too...cute!
major intersection in DT Yeoju

The "Lumberjack" restaurant we went to for dinner last time

Italian restaurant


We then decided we would day booze since it was absolutely gorgeous out. We headed over to our trusted spot One Time and had some drinks. At lunch I had suggested we play a board game, so Mark called up Liam (from NZ) and he showed up to One Time with Monopoly and Clue...well Cluedo to be exact. Apparently they call it that in NZ and South Africa and England. ha!


pens Liam bought to play the game-
"Good office and happy company"






We played Clue and drank in the sunshine and it was quite enjoyable. A couple of friends ran into us there, Casey and Jackie, and decided to join us. I was getting hungry by around 5pm so Mark, Liam and I went for dinner at a "shabu shabu" restaurant nearby. I requested the meal because remember when I told you I had it in Chungju with Brock and Brittany? I wanted that!! But it was not the same, but still tasty none the less. It wasn't as spicy and there were more vegetables and mystery items. Also, the beef was frozen here whereas in Chungju it was fresh. We ate and drank then returned to the others, who were still drinking at One Time.


I heart Korean food!


We had another drink there then went to Adonis, a "western" bar nearby. We played drinking games including drinking game Jenga, this time the dirty version...it was pretty PG and A LOT of fun! Drinking games in bars are key, keeps everyone talking as a group!


Cass fresh everywhere

"trade an article of clothing" - Liam in Jackie's shirt

poor James got "draw on a Hitler stash" - Only eye liner!


Up next it was finally time to go to the Norebong!! AKA Karaoke room. I hadn't gone since I got here so I was really excited. It was also only around 9pm!! ha. So we get there and we get a nice sized room for the about 12 people we ended up gathering througout the day. It was a BLAST! We sang so many songs and had smuggled booze in that we bought at the convenience store on the way there. The thing that rocks about Yeoju is everything is so close to each other! The norebong is literally accross the street from One Time and a 2 minute walk from Adonis. AMAZING! So we sang for what I think was about 3 hours (don't quote me, I was day boozing!) and then me and Mark crashed a room that was full of Koreans! We listened to them sing and sang a few ourselves and it was great times!! I love crashing Karaoke rooms, it was a fave passtime back home.


Barbie Girl...Obvs.

such weird Korean videos to go with the songs -
she is a little upset he was "born in the USA"

oh ya, tambourines too! Oh man...

Sophie and I ... not the random room, she's with us!

This guy is definitely a random

Don't worry Mark, I do this all the time, just play along!
p.s you can take off the "article of clothing" from Casey, game's over dude.

They LOVED us! haha

After that, we joined the others back at One Time, then I decided I would just take a cab home. It only end up costing $14 to have a better sleep in my own bed (rather than a friend's couch). And it wasn't too late so the night duty guy wouldn't be like, who the hell is trying to get in the school at this hour!

Well that kinda happened. He was sleeping I am pretty sure since he was a little Korean man in his wife beater and boxers (If I remember correctly). I tried to explain that my keys were left with him but he had no idea what I was talking about!  Uh oh! I didn't have any other choice than to call Mr. J and ask him to explain that he left my keys for me. Well it turns out Mr. J left my keys with a teacher since he couldn't find the night duty man at the time. She was to find him and give them to him before she left. She didn't and the night duty man could not find them in her classroom so I was up shit's creek without a paddle! I totally got upset, partly because I was hammered and partly because I just wanted to sleep in my own home and was pissed my keys weren't there! Basically I had to sleep at the school and wait until morning so that Mr. Jung could call the teacher and ask her where my keys were. So the little Korean man ushered me into a room with tiny chairs and tiny desks and a tiny bed and covered me with a blanket because tonight, I was sleeping in the kindergarten room.

The next morning the little man came into the room, woke me up and gave me my keys. He gestured if I wanted some breakfast and I politely said no thanks (in my head I was like I just want to get the hell outta here, but thanks!) and folded the blanket. I said thank you in Korean a bunch of times and did the walk of shame from my school to my house at 7:30am...Let's hope the principal (my neighbour) didn't see me and get the wrong idea!


Needless to say, my internet got fixed and it is free!! Probably to keep me from leaving!

No comments:

Post a Comment