Saturday, December 4, 2010

Girl's Day Out!

Wednesday, December 1st was Kangchun Elementary's anniversary/birthday. I have no idea how old the school is and Mr. Jung has this whole week off (well not off, he is at a conference) so I have no way of asking! On this day, the school is closed. For some reason however, I had to use a vacation day. In Korea, you don't ask questions unless they are in some way detremental to your health. I have 25 vacation days so I wasn't too worried about it. I wanted to do something fun, but I was the only one in Yeoju with the day off. BORING. I planned on just going into the city, going to the bank then just maybe getting my nails done or something. Luckily, my friend and fellow co-worker Jin Woo asked me what I was doing on my day off. I said that I didn't have any plans and she decided we were hanging out!

Jin Woo works in the finance room with Mr. Jung and one other woman. I have been working from their office since my English room is under construction. They are my buddies, we eat lunch together, make each other coffee, and share snacks. Jin Woo is probably my closest girl friend at the school, even though she doesn't really speak English. She has 3 grown boys: one in our school (grade 6, smartest kid in the school), one in middle school and one in high school. I bet she doesn't get much girl time so I was happy to hang out with her :) She initially invited me to have lunch at her house but it then changed into a trip to Yeoju for lunch and shopping at E-Mart. I also had to go to the bank so this was perfect.


Jin Woo


First of all, isn't it lovely waking up on your own without an alarm!? I ususally get up at 6:30am but getting up at 7:30am was just fine cause I woke up naturally, not to an annyoing alarm. After Skyping the bf and some friends, I got ready and headed out. It was pretty warm and nice out so I was happy. Jin Woo had shown me her house before so I knew  how to get there. It was beside the post office and probably the biggest and nicest house in all of Gangcheon. It was beautifully made (by her husband, he works in construction I think) and it was beautiful inside! Like a cottage, with stones and wood, I will have to take a pic of it one day to show you all, it's SOOO nice! We had some coffee then headed to Yeoju in her car.

We went to Kimbopnara which is kind of a fast food restaurant, Korean style. They sell super healthy deliciousness like kimbop (Korean sushi), noodle soups, soups that come with rice and other small appetizer-like goodies. My favorite item from there is 'kimchi mandu' which are fresh dumplings with kimchi and glass noodles inside, DELISH! Jin Woo and I both had 'kal guk su" which is a fresh noodle soup with clams. I don't eat clams but I love this soup. The broth is delicious and the noodles are made to order so it is absolutely divine!


After lunch we headed to E-Mart to go shopping. E-Mart is like Walmart sans the cheap prices and child labour made goods. It is kinda like Loblaws is becoming...they sell everything you need. It's a great store. We bought some groceries and then Jin Woo decided she wanted to check out a new place that just opened up in the fall - the Hwanghaksan Arboretum aka tree museum.


E-Mart


It was a beautiful place, even though everything was dead except the evergreens, haha. It was nice and quiet and peaceful and a well spent afternoon.






"kimchi house"

Evergreens

she's so cute :)




After that Jin Woo took me on a tour of Gangcheon, my town. She showed me where the different students live and we even stopped for tea at a fellow teacher's house! Good day all around :)


Temple on our drive through town

Gangcheon hospital

No comments:

Post a Comment