I am currently just chilling out in the administration office of my school.
MAN, this is so crazy being here! ... First of all, all I have had to eat today is a cookie and I can't eat anything because I have my medical check this afternoon and everyone has just gone for lunch..GREAT! I haven't eaten since last night at 7pm...6am Tdot time. It is so weird being in the future! I was hoping someone would come on Skype this morning, but no one did, 6pm on a sunday is usually prime couch time.
So last night was hard, went for dinner with some peeps and the food is way more intense than in Canada, obviously more authentic but lots of dishes I wouldn't touch. Lots of stuff with seaweed and randomness. I liked mostly meat dishes (so much for telling them i am a vegetarian so I dont have to eat chicken feet!) but didn't eat much, mostly rice.
I woke up early this morning, 6am my time and bb'd a blog, not sure how i am gonna get it off there and onto my blog but whateves, I needed to vent and didn't realize I had internet until I had already written it. I found a random cord and plugged it into my computer and it worked!! Then was time for my shower...the bathroom is really weird, you walk in and it is mostly tiled and the shower is not enclosed! I knew this going into it but it was kinda weird. Water goes everywhere, I will need to get a squeege or something! But not as bad as I anticipated.
Before I showered I heard people so I opened my bathroom window and it looks onto the schoolyard! Kids are already there and playing soccer at 7:45 am! Then at 8am music starts blasting, children's voices singing...I guess they play it in the morning as kids arrive, and I guess that will be my alarm every morning!
The woman with the 2 kids from last night, who lives below me, is the nurse here (asked her name again and still dont remember!) and she came and picked me up at 8:35 and I scurried to gather my things. Then we walked to school, which I live right beside!
Upon arrival I was meeting people left right and center, not remembering any of their names but rather remembering what grade they teach or what they do! We went to the gym for the "Monday meeting". All of the children, faculty and staff were there. There are probably about 100 children, maybe more, but definitely less than in a Canadian elementary school...it didn't seem like that many. It was basically 20 mins of national anthem, prayer, introducing me and random talking and then some students got awards for good work. The not so fun part was that I had to go on stage in front of the entire school and introduce myself!! I was shaking in my boots but it was quick and painless...said my name, I am from Canada and that I was excited to get to know everyone and learn about their country.
After that, a lot of walking around meeting people and children coming by and saying hello. Then I went to the principal's office where we really didn't do anything, they just chatted about me in Korean while I sat pretty (that is the story of my life here!) I then got a tour of the school and currently the "English Centre" is being remodled so they are clearing a room out for me to teach in. I have basically been walking around and now I am chilling in this room until I go to the hospital I guess.
I just got my settlement allowance (300 000 KRW), which is awesome since I was told I had to wait 2 weeks to receive it. I got about 328 000 KRW before I left at the exchange place and was worried I couldn't live on it until I got paid,so this is great! Comes out to about 600 CND. I will certainly be fine seeing as I cannot go anywhere!
Well that is it for now, I am leaving soon for my medical exam so that should be interesting!
Talk soon!
*Disclaimer: my last post I transfered (re-typed) from my black berry and this I wrote on my first day and I am only posting it now so sorry for the repetitiveness!*
No comments:
Post a Comment