So I am moving to Korea...
Every decision I have made in the past year and a half has lead to this moment. I have been researching and planning and I am finally taking the plunge and moving to South Korea to teach English! I have always wanted to teach and with an unbelievable (yet standard) amount of debt, I needed a way to follow my dream while also saving money to pay down my debt and eventually go to Teacher's College.
I will be moving to Yeoju, South Korea to teach elementary students in a public school. It is a rural town (actually a county) with about 100 000 people. I start September 27th, 2010. I chose Korea for many reasons:
- flight is usually paid for by the school
- accomodations are also paid for by the school (you just have to pay utilities - water, gas, internet & phone which I hear are usually way under $100CND a month)
- pay is relatively high - average $2000CND a month
- cost of living is low
I am really excited that I am finally taking the next step in my life but also terrified! I am not worried about making friends or having a great time, I am worried more about technical things like the language barrier and the fact that I am so far away and can't simply come home for the weekend. I am also worried about the race issue, but I hear that the Korean people are just skeptical in general about any non-Korean visitors (due to war etc...) With the increase in English language teaching over there I am sure things are getting more comfortable for them. :) I am also worried about getting everything I need before I go and that I don't forget anything!!
Right now, I am waiting for my Visa to be approved by the Korean government. I am in week 2 of about usually 3 that it takes to process one. It is also a busy time of year so it could even take longer. While that is happening, I am focusing on making TONS of lists of things to do, buy and take care of.
I am excited to share this journey with you all and I will be sure to blog often so that you all feel like you are right there with me for the ride!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I leave so soon!
Congrats Cass!! I'm glad everything had worked out for you!! I can just imagine the excitement you must be feeling right now :D
ReplyDeleteI'm applying to teach in Korea, too, and I noticed that they do pay higher in rural areas, that's a good thing to hear! I guess I'm applying a bit too late.. But I do hope to get something from either Seoul/Busan/Daegu! (I'm a city person hahaha).. btw how many places did you apply to? Getting a little impatient over here..
Anyway, it was definitely a great 3 weekends we had with everyone in our class. I hope everything goes well for you so you can have the time of your lifeeeee !!! And of course, have a safe flight! =)
(btw SYTYCD is the best lol read your next post already)
-Danny C
Thanks Danny!
ReplyDeleteThe next application time is October for March jobs (at least in the public schools) so you may have to wait a little longer. OR you can wait to see if people quit cause they can't handle the heat!
Keep in touch and I am happy to answer any questions you may have!
talk soon,
Cassandra